BLOG BUDDIES...JOIN as a REGULAR READER HERE!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

#72 - Count Your Blessings

There are days when things just don't seem to go right. There are times when we feel overwhelmed. Everyone has difficulties, sooner or later, everyone encounters problems of some sort.

But, if you start to feel too weighed down by your circumstances, then it really might be beneficial for your mental and emotional state to truly count your blessings. It's an old saying that sticks around for a reason. When you are jumping hurdle after hurdle with no end and sight and exhaustion is kicking in, then it might be time to let the hurdles fall and start focusing on your blessings.

If things are so bad that you can't even think straight to consider your blessings, then get out a sheet of paper and start at the top --- look around and find something that is a blessing. Go from there. Get on a roll. Counting your blessings can include seemingly "meaningless" things that are actually deserving to be on your list. So many little blessings can add up significantly.

So, when life appears to be a chaotic mess that has less hope and more trouble, start counting the blessings. Make your own circumstances be transformed.

I think this is why I always feel blessed. Even in the midst of my worst moments, I might take a while to have a royal breakdown, but then I start to pick myself up while counting my every little detail in life deserving of thanksgiving. It may be the wind blowing a tree in the distance and the swaying is so beautiful and captivating that it takes me away from my reality. It might be my goofy dog waking me with his huge paw placed gently on my shoulder. It may be the voice of my daughter just calling to say, "Hey Mom." And, I am so thankful that I have a husband who loves me and who admires my strength. If he only knew...I draw so much of it from his own strength.

If you are down, don't wallow. Okay, wallow for a while, but pull yourself out of it after a while so you can exit wallow-land. It's not fun to stay there for long. As my mother used to tell me, "There is ALWAYS something to be thankful for, so start being thankful!" She was right. Enjoy the little things, be amazed by the big things and to everything in between, be looking for the blessings --- they are there waiting to be noticed.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right Lana! Some days it is so hard to find things to be grateful for. You have reminded me to really look, and I will find them!
    mo

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be posted soon after - having to moderate comments because of some SPAM getting through. So, post your comment, like usual, and I will publish it as soon as possible. Remember...my blog readers often give me inspiration for subsequent blog posts, so I thank you in advance! Thanks for reading this blog; I'll enjoy reading your comments.